Posted on January, 30 2024
DART now requires Bus Plus customers to submit a new application to recertify their Bus Plus status every three years, or whenever the certification expires (ex: temporary disability status). Bus Plus customers will be notified of the recertification requirements by receiving a letter in the mail from DART. To avoid service interruption, DART must receive a new application from customers within 60 days of the date printed on their recertification letter. A copy of the Bus Plus application will be provided to customers by mail within the letter.
Please be patient: There is a large number of applications for DART to send, receive and review, therefore DART must spread out this process over several months — beginning Feb. 2024 and continuing through July 2025. DART asks all Bus Plus customers to wait to submit a new application until they receive instructions in the mail.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is DART requiring recertification of disability status for its Bus Plus Paratransit customers?
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as defined in Part 37 – Transportation Services for Individuals with Disabilities, states that a public transit entity (in this case, DART) may require recertification of the eligibility of ADA paratransit eligible individuals at reasonable intervals. Effective July 1, 2023, DART requires paratransit eligible customers to recertify their eligibility every three years.
When will I receive a letter notifying me it is time to recertify my Bus Plus Paratransit status with DART?
Each of DART’s Bus Plus customers that were previously approved for paratransit service prior to July 1, 2023, will receive a letter notifying them of the need to recertify their disability status. The letters will be dated, and customers will be given 60 days from the date printed on their letter to submit a new application. Letters will be mailed in alphabetical order, A-Z, beginning in February 2024 and concluding in July 2025. Please be patient: There is a large number of applications for DART to send, receive and review, therefore DART must spread out this process over several months.
When will my Bus Plus Paratransit services expire?
Your access to DART Paratransit’s Bus Plus services will expire 60 days from the date printed on your recertification letter, which will be sent to you in the mail. The letter will provide instructions and a new applicaiton to complete in order to recertify your disability status for access to DART Paratransit’s Bus Plus services.
Where and how do I submit my new Bus Plus application for recertification?
1. Please find the Bus Plus application and instructions provided within the letter that will be mailed to you.
2. You will need to have the professional verification form section of the Bus Plus application completed by a health care professional to provide verification of your disability and its effect on your ability to use DART’s regular bus system. Some examples of health care professionals that can certify your application include: Clinical Social Worker, Case Manager, Occupational Therapist, Physiatrist, Physical Therapist, Rehabilitation Counselor, Optometrist, Ophthalmologist, Physician, Psychologist, Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner, etc.
3. Once the application is complete, including the professional verification form, there are several ways you can submit it.
- Fax the completed application to the Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority at 515-283-8103,
- Email the completed application to email@example.com, or,
- Mail the completed application to:
- Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority
- Attn: Paratransit
- 620 Cherry Street
- Des Moines, IA 50309
4. Your application will be reviewed, and an eligibility determination will be made within 21 days of receipt of a complete application, and the results will be mailed to you.
Please read our full FAQ for additional information.
You can find more information about DART Paratransit’s Bus Plus services at ridedart.com/Paratransit.